Do you want to learn how to build a garage?
Building a garage can be a difficult endeavor in which the individual making the effort to create the structure should have experience in the construction industry. Garages are used for the storage of vehicles, to complete home renovation projects or work that cannot be completed in the home, or to store items that are just too large for the home dwelling! There are many reasons that a homeowner may choose to build a garage – this tutorial will cover the basics and help the homeowner to know where to begin when it comes to building a garage.
Using a kit to build a garage can save countless days throughout the building process. Inside these garage kits are all of the items required to build the garage, including supplies required to build the foundation of the garage and supplies which are required to frame, roof and even finish the structure. For beginners, these garage building kits are often the best bet when it comes to making an addition to your home, whether you choose to create an attached or detached garage. Garage building kits make the task of building the structure simple with small, categorized tasks that result in the finished product.
If you have decided to forego the garage kit, you can follow these steps to build a garage that can become an extension of the space in which you life.
1. Plan out the area that you intend to use for the garage. Is the garage going to be attached to the home, or detached? Planning the area where the garage is going to be can assist the homeowner in laying the next step of the garage building process, laying the foundation.
2. Buy the supplies. Before beginning the garage building project, it is important to inventory the supplies which are going to be required to build the garage. Remember supplies that will be required for the foundation, the walls, the framing, the interior and insulation as well as the exterior of the garage.
3. Plan the foundation. If the garage is going to be large, it may be beneficial to include professional help for the laying of the concrete foundation that will begin the garage building process. Although this can become a costly part of the garage building process, it is essential to ensure that the foundation has been laid correctly before constructing the structure.
4. After the foundation has settled for at least forty-eight hours, the homeowner can begin to frame the garage. Are you going to have any storage within the garage which will require separate spaces, or are you going to include one large area? Be sure to plan this accordingly before beginning the framing. Consider using a rough plan or set of blueprints to ensure that the framing has been completed accordingly. Taking advantage of storage space within the roof often is planned during the framing process and should be planned for accordingly.
5. Complete any electrical outlets and power that will be required within the garage. If you are a novice, it can be helpful to enlist the help of an electrician through this step.
6. After the garage has been framed it is time to begin the exterior. Using plywood, fill in the spaces and create the barriers that are going to protect the items in the garage from the elements.
7. Next, the garage can be roofed. Be sure to use durable roofing supplies that can protect the items within the garage from rain and snow.
8. Lastly, the garage door is installed and the interior work is finished within the garage. Innovative storage techniques like built in shelving can assist in keeping an organized space.
Using these tips and techniques, you should be able to create a functional garage that works just the way you need it to – with a little help from the professionals.